Do you have to have insurance on your car to operate in Wisconsin?
Minimum liability coverage amounts are:
- $10,000 for property damage
- $25,000 for the injury or death of one person
- $50,000 for the injury or death of more than one person
Proof of insurance
Drivers and owners of motor vehicles are required to show proof of insurance at traffic stops/accidents if requested by law enforcement. Proof is not necessary for trailers or semi-trailers.
- Operating a motor vehicle without insurance may result in a fine of up to $500.
- Drivers and owners who fail to show proof of insurance at the time of the stop/accident may be fined up to $10.
- Offering proof of insurance that is found to be fraudulent may result in a fine of up to $5,000.