How do I get a copy of my own driving record?

Your motor vehicle driving abstract (commonly called a driving record) contains your driving history for a specific period of time. Most entries remain on your record for 5 years, except for serious offenses or alcohol related convictions, which remain on your record for 55 years.

The Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) does not have a public counter where driving records can be obtained. You can request a copy of your own driver record over the phone or by mail.

To order by phone, call (608)261-2566. The automated system, available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, will prompt you to enter your social security number or Wisconsin Driver license number. It is very important that you listen to the complete message and follow the instructions given, or the transaction will not be completed and your request will not go through.

A bill for $5 and your driver record abstract will be mailed to the address on your driving record the next workday. You will also receive a sheet explaining the charge and points entries on your record.

To request your driving record by mail, complete a Vehicle/Driver Record Information Request Form MV2896 (63 KB) and mail it with $5 to:

Wisconsin Department of Transportation
P.O. Box 7995
Madison, WI 53707-7995

To find out the current status of your driver license and the number of points assessed against your driving record, you can call (608)264-7133, for a recorded message, 24 hours a day.
If you have questions about specific convictions:
·        E-mail:
·        Call: (608)266-2353